What to do if you’re a victim of workplace discrimination

As a victim of workplace discrimination, you’re likely to have questions about what to do next and concerns about what the future holds.  It’s important that you take immediate action, regardless of any concerns that you have. For example, if you’re an illegal resident, you may be scared to fight back. However, your status shouldn’t deter you from filing a claim. Here’s what you should do if you’re a victim of workplace discrimination:
  • Report it: For example, if your supervisor is discriminating against you because of your age, sex or religion, report it to your HR department. Not only does this allow you to file a formal complaint, but it puts the ball in their court. Continue to follow up with them until a resolution is found.
  • Collect evidence: Being that you may want to file a claim in the future, it’s important to collect evidence related to the discrimination. This comes in many forms, such as witness statements or a telling email or text message from the person discriminating against you. 
  • File a charge of discrimination: If you don’t get satisfaction through your employer, it’s time to take things to the next level. This often means filing a charge of discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. This goes a long way in showing your employer that you’re serious and you’re not going to sweep the problem under the rug.
You could become a victim of workplace discrimination at any time. Don’t let this issue persist. Take immediate action in an attempt to shut it down, all while taking steps to protect your legal rights

Tune into our radio show
Punto Legal

Wednesdays, 5-6 pm

94.5 FM / Garfield & Mesa Counties

102.5 FM / Eagle County

107.1 / Summit County

Serving Western Colorado