Things to know about Green Cards

No matter why you want to live in the United States of America, you will have to go through different processes to be legally recognized as a permanent resident. Fortunately for immigrants, there are many different ways to become a legal and permanent resident, but for many people the best option is to get a Green Card.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is a permit that shows that the person who has it is legally allowed to live and work in the United States. Once a person has a Green Card, they are considered a permanent resident of America and they can live and work in the U.S. indefinitely.

There are many different ways to get a Green Card. However, the most common ways to get a Green Card are to be sponsored by a family member who already lives in the U.S. or to be sponsored by an employer.

Family sponsorship

Fortunately for families, the U.S. government considers keeping families together a priority when it comes to immigration. As a result, people who have become legal residents of the U.S. can petition to have immediate relatives given Green Cards as well. Immediate relatives include,

· Spouses

· Children (if they are under the age of 21 and are unmarried)

· Parents

These relatives will not have to wait to go through the usual Green Card application process and will be given priority by immigration services.

Job sponsorship

If an employer in the United States has offered you a job, they may be able to submit certain applications and forms and get you approved for a Green Card to work.

Immigration services will also sometimes grant people Green Cards if they have worked or are working in certain specialized jobs. Some specialized jobs include religious workers, broadcasters, translators, people who have assisted the government.

Even if a person is eligible for a Green Card, the application process can be long and sometimes difficult. Having the help of someone who is familiar with the systems and the application process could be very helpful.

If you find yourself where you are or are planning on applying for a Green Card, it is recommended that you seek out the services of a knowledgeable and experienced legal professional. They will be able to work with you as you make your way through the legal process.

Tune into our radio show
Punto Legal

Wednesdays, 5-6 pm

94.5 FM / Garfield & Mesa Counties

102.5 FM / Eagle County

107.1 / Summit County

Serving Western Colorado